Financial Aid Checklist
Use this checklist to help you navigate the financial aid process.
Complete the FAFSA Application
To apply for federal student aid, you must:
- Register for an FSA ID and
- Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA); the form opens October 1 each year.
- Be sure to submit by the FAFSA priority deadline each year.
Check Verification Status
Some students will be selected for FAFSA verification. If you are selected, Mizzou cannot offer or pay out financial aid until you’ve completed the verification process.
- If you’re selected for verification, you’ll be notified by receiving a request for verification in your MU student email account.
- Visit our Verification page to find all the necessary steps to complete verification.
Review Your Offer Letter
We will begin sending out financial aid offers for first-time freshmen in the spring, and returning students will be notified of their financial aid offer in June.
- Once you’ve received your offer letter, take some time to read through it.
- Visit Understanding Your Financial Aid Offer for help.
Accept or Decline Each Type of Aid Offered
You’ll view, accept and/or decline each item in your financial aid offer in myZou. Grants and scholarships are automatically accepted.
- Go to myZou (this link takes you directly to the Accept/Decline Awards page).
- Select the upcoming year, then select what aid you want to accept, and follow the submission prompts to complete this task.
Borrowing Federal Loans?
If you have accepted federal student loans, and you are a first-time borrower at Mizzou:
Even if you have already accepted your loans in myZou, your federal student loans will not disburse until these two steps have been completed.
Check your Mizzou Balance
Student bills are generated on or around the 15th of each month. The first bill for Fall semester is generated in July.
- Once bills are available, you can view your bill in TouchNet.
- If you need additional financial aid assistance, the following options might be available.