The University of Missouri’s Equal Employment/Education Opportunity policy [UM System CR&R 600.020], which is compliant with Federal laws prohibiting discrimination, requires that faculty, student employees and staff members, with some exceptions, report any known, learned or rumored incidents of sex discrimination, including; sexual harassment, sexual misconduct, stalking on the basis of sex, dating/intimate partner violence or sexual exploitation and/or related experiences or incidents. To report sexual misconduct or ask questions about the policies and procedures regarding sexual misconduct, please submit the online reporting form at or contact the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Civil Rights, Title IX & ADA, Andy Hayes at 573-882-2824 or

Special circumstances

Economic hardship

On a case-by-case basis, a financial aid adviser may review family changes after the FAFSA has been submitted with the previous year’s information.  If a major change occurs in your financial situation, you may submit an appeal for our office to review your situation. Examples include:

  • Parent(s) or student recently unemployed
  • Parent(s) or student is receiving less pay
  • Parents or student has become separated or divorced
  • Death of parent or student’s spouse
  • Medical and dental expenses not covered by insurance
  • Private elementary or secondary school expenses
  • Unemployment benefits or untaxed income no longer received
  • IRA and 401K withdrawals
  • Other changes to a student’s status or to a student’s or family’s income or assets

To receive an appeal form, please contact your assigned financial aid advisor. Appeals are reviewed by a committee process and are handled on a case-by-case basis, with the judgment of the administrator serving as the final decision. Requests may also be denied for other reasons such as excessive requests, progress toward degree completion, or excessive student loan debt.

The MU Office of Student Financial Aid will begin reviewing appeals on April 1.

Adult/non-traditional student expenses

Child care

If you're a student with dependent children, please have your child care provider submit the Child Care Payment Verification Form with accompanying documentation. These forms are reviewed after July 1.


Adult students who commute more than 30 miles each way to attend MU classes may be eligible for transportation funding. Make an appointment with your financial aid adviser.

Computer purchase

To determine whether additional assistance is available for purchase of a computer, submit the Computer Purchase Form.