Graduating or transferring to another school


If you plan to withdraw from MU before the end of an academic session, you must process the appropriate notice of withdrawal form with the Office of University Registrar or with your academic department/school/college before the last scheduled day of coursework. Withdrawal forms normally are dated according to the date the request was first received.

If you withdraw from MU:

  • Your current financial aid may change; changes to financial aid are made according to federally mandated formulas.
  • The revision of your records and enrollment dates may affect your financial aid in the future.
  • Financial aid returned to the source (lender, program, etc.) will appear on your account as a charge.
  • You will be notified of any changes to your award.


If you plan to transfer from MU to another institution at the end of a session, you must cancel your MU registration for future semesters.

  • Notify the Office of Student Financial Aid of your intention to transfer at the end of current session so that pending financial aid can be canceled.
  • Financial aid does not automatically transfer with you; you must reapply for financial aid at the new institution.
  • Add the code for the new institution to your FAFSA.
  • Contact the new school regarding its process for applying for financial aid.
  • If you are receiving state awards, such as Missouri Higher Education Academic Scholarships (Bright Flight), you must notify the Missouri Department of Higher Education.

Graduation and extended absence

Before graduating from the University of Missouri, pay off your student account. Transcripts and diplomas will not be released if you have any university financial obligations. Check your financial information in your Student Center in myZou prior to your graduation date. More on preparing for graduation.

If you complete your degree and graduate from MU or you leave the university for a period of six months or longer, you will be required to begin repaying student loans.

  • Loans enter repayment after a grace period. The length of the grace period is usually six, nine or 12 months, depending upon the loan type. Learn more.
  • Deferment and/or forbearance options might be available to help postpone the beginning date of the loan repayment. Contact your lenders to explore these options.
  • Loan consolidation may simplify loan repayment and reduce monthly payments. Extending the length of repayment usually increases the total amount repaid to the lender.
  • Under the Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees Program, you might be entitled to loan forgiveness if you pursue a certain type of career. You must be employed full time in a public service job during the same period in which the qualifying payments are made and at the time that the cancellation is granted.

Financial aid refunds

If you have registered and paid for courses and subsequently cancel your registration before before the first day of classes, you are eligible for a full credit, less a $20 cancellation fee. If you withdraw from the university or reduce your course load after classes have begun, you are subject to the appropriate refund schedule.

Refunds of excess financial aid are paid by check through U.S. mail or by direct deposit.

Students are strongly encouraged to establish direct deposit with the Office of Cashiers for the refund of excess financial aid. To set up direct deposit, log on to myZou. Under "Finances," click "Manage Direct Deposit." Enter your bank’s routing number and your account number. The individual or joint bank account must include the student as an owner. Financial aid refunds are processed nightly. It takes approximately three days to transfer the funds to your bank.