George C. Brooks Scholarship
Named after former MU Financial Aid Director George C. Brooks, this scholarship is designed to enhance recruitment and retention of undergraduate students from ethnic groups that are underrepresented at MU.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Enrollment at MU the first semester after high school graduation
- Member of a racial or ethnic group that is underrepresented in relation to the University's goal to achieve educational benefits of a diverse student body.
- High school seniors from an accredited high school with a minimum ACT composite score of 25 or an SAT score of 1200 or higher for the new exam/1130 or higher for the pre-March 2016 exam.
- Students admitted on probation are not eligible for the Brooks Scholarship
- Missouri resident: $7,500 per year
- Non-Missouri resident: $7,500 plus waiver of nonresident tuition (approximately $14,000). Waiver of nonresident tuition is for a total of 8 regular semesters (fall and spring), students are not eligible for the waiver during summer terms.
Interested applicants should apply for admission to MU, submit official transcripts and official test scores (from test score providers ACT or College Board) no later than Dec. 1.
Applicants who meet the criteria for this scholarship listed above should select one of the following essay prompts and write a one page response:
1. Select one aspect of your background or one characteristic that reflects who you are and describe how that aspect or characteristic will allow you to succeed as a student and contribute to the diverse community at Mizzou.
2. Explain a time you stood up for something you passionately supported that has changed how you understand your school, community or the world.
3. What do you see as the biggest threat to civility?
Applicants can apply and submit their essays at the following site: futuretigers.missouri.edu/register/brooks
Please note that this is a separate application and essay from the MU Scholarship Application.
Questions about this scholarship can be emailed to: BrooksAward@missouri.edu
Brooks Scholarship Coordinator
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
If selected for an interview, applicants will be invited to campus in January.
All materials must be received by Dec. 15.
Renewable for an additional three years. Students can receive the scholarship for a maximum of eight consecutive (fall or spring) semesters, or until receiving a bachelor’s degree, whichever occurs first.
To remain eligible for the award, recipients must:
- Remain continuously enrolled at MU for each regular (fall and spring) semester
- Enroll for a minimum of 12 MU credit hours each semester (fall and spring)
- Complete at least 24 graded credit hours each academic year
- Maintain a cumulative MU grade point average of 2.5 or higher
- Participate in the US Success* Program through Academic Retention Services and the Honors College
Failure to meet the renewal criteria will cause the recipient to be ineligible to receive the scholarship for the following academic year. If at the end of that academic year the renewal criteria listed above are met, the scholarship will be reinstated for the next academic year. However, all regular semesters of enrollment are counted toward the eight-semester limit of receiving the award.
Non-Missouri-resident students whose out-of-state fees are paid by another source are not eligible to receive out-of-state fee waivers through automatic scholarships.
Exceptions to any of the above renewal requirements must be requested in writing to email@example.com or:
Academic Retention Services
101 Student Success Center
Columbia, Mo 65211-6310
Not transferable among the campuses of the University of Missouri system.