George C. Brooks Scholarship
Named after former MU Financial Aid Director George C. Brooks, this scholarship is designed to enhance recruitment and retention of undergraduate students from ethnic groups that are underrepresented at MU.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Enrollment at MU the first semester after high school graduation
- Member of an ethnic group that is under-represented at MU (African-American, Hispanic & Native American)
- High school seniors with a minimum ACT composite score of 25 or 1130 SAT(Critical Reading + Math)
- Missouri resident: $7,500 per year
- Non-Missouri resident: $7,500 plus nonresident tuition waiver
Interested applicants should apply for admission to MU, submit official transcripts and official test scores (from test score providers ACT or College Board) no later than December 15th.
Applicants who meet the criteria for this scholarship listed above should submit a typed, one-page essay answering the question:
- Select one aspect of your background or one characteristic that reflects who you are, and write a one page essay on how that aspect or characteristic will allow you to succeed as a student and contribute to the diverse community at MU.
Please note that this is a separate essay from the MU Scholarship Application.
The essay should be emailed to: BrooksAwards@missouri.edu
Brooks Scholarship Coordinator
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65211
If selected for an interview, applicants will be invited to campus in January.
All materials must be received by December 15th.
Renewable for an additional three years. Students can receive the scholarship for a maximum of eight regular (fall or spring) semesters, or until receiving a bachelor’s degree, whichever occurs first.
To remain eligible for the award, recipients must:
- Remain continuously enrolled at MU for each regular (fall and spring) semester
- Enroll for a minimum of 12 MU credit hours each semester (fall and spring)
- Complete at least 24 graded credit hours each academic year
- Maintain a cumulative MU grade point average of 2.5 or higher
- Participate in the MAP program through Academic Retention Services.
Failure to meet the renewal criteria will cause the recipient to be ineligible to receive the scholarship for the following academic year. If at the end of that academic year the renewal criteria listed above are met, the scholarship will be reinstated for the next academic year. However, all regular semesters of enrollment are counted toward the eight-semester limit of receiving the award.
Non-Missouri-resident students whose out-of-state fees are paid by another source are not eligible to receive out-of-state fee waivers through automatic scholarships.
Exceptions to any of the above renewal requirements must be requested in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or:
Academic Retention Services
101 Student Success Center
Columbia, Mo 65211-6310
Not transferable among the campuses of the University of Missouri system.