Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
Important! Please read the information on this page before clicking on the PLUS online application link at the bottom of the page
- Parent borrower must not be in default on a federal loan.
- Parent borrower must be a biological or adoptive parent or a stepparent.
- Student must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- A parent not included on the FAFSA is eligible for the Parent PLUS Loan.
- Student must be enrolled at least half time.
- Parent borrowers must pass a credit check; if denied the following options are available:
Obtain a credit-worthy endorser (co-signer)
Appeal the denial
The student may borrow additional funds from the unsubsidized FFDL program
- Approval of the Parent PLUS Loan is based strictly on your credit rating. It does not factor in debt-to-income ratio. Therefore, the amount you request to borrow is not a reason for denial.
In most cases, the parent is eligible to borrow up to the cost of attendance minus any other financial aid the student receives.
The Department of Education uses a master promissory note (MPN), which serves as a multi-year note for each parent-student combination.
As long as the parent borrower and the dependent student do not change, a new PLUS MPN is not required on subsequent loans. This is not the case if your Parent PLUS loan was approved because you obtained an endorser.
When the loan is disbursed, the Department of Education calculates a 4.276 percent processing fee for loans disbursed after October 1, 2016 and before October 1, 2017.
- Fixed interest rate of 6.31 percent for loans disbursed between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
- Interest begins to accrue as soon as the loan is disbursed.
Disbursement of funds
PLUS funds are sent to the University of Missouri by the lender. The loan may be disbursed in two installments. Funds are first credited to the student's MU account to pay any balance due for tuition, fees, housing, meals and other school charges. Extra funds are returned to the borrower. A parent borrower may authorize the refund to be released to the student by indicating so on the Parent PLUS application.
After your loan is fully disbursed, it will be assigned to a federal loan servicer. The servicer is who you will send payments to.
Your loan payments begin 60 days after your loan is fully disbursed. For example, if you borrow a loan for fall and spring semesters, our last disbursement would be in January (for the spring semester). Payments would begin in March. You can use a loan calculator to determine your estimated loan repayment. If you want to defer payments, contact your loan servicer.
You will get correspondence from your servicer once your loan has been assigned. You may also find them by logging into the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) using your federal id log in https://www.nslds.ed.gov/nslds/nslds_SA/.
- PLUS Counseling is required if you initially do not pass a credit check but are approved because you obtain a co-signer or you appeal your denial and submit supporting documentation.
- PLUS Counseling is a new requirement effective March 30,2015.
Completing the online application (IMPORTANT!)
- MU utilizes the Department of Education’s Parent PLUS request process. The web link below will take you to the Department of Education’s student loan website. Once you submit the application, you will know immediately whether your loan was approved or denied.
- You (the parent) will need a Federal Student Aid ID (FSA ID) to apply for a PLUS loan. If you did not already obtain one to sign the FAFSA form, you may request one at fsaid.ed.gov. If you have an FSA ID, but cannot remember it, you may use this website to retrieve it.
- Once you have your FSA ID and password, navigate to the link below and click on the LogIn Button located in the upper right hand corner.
- Enter your personal information and click the LogIn button.
- If you are successful at logging in, you will see a page titled Welcome to StudentLoans.gov. Your personal information will be located on the right hand side of the screen.
- Click on the link "Request a Direct PLUS loan".
- On the next page read the information and click on the link at the bottom of the page "Parent PLUS". This will open the application.
- Once you have submitted the application and have been approved, the MU Financial Aid Office will be notified within 2 business days of your request for a PLUS loan.
To apply for a Parent PLUS loan, click on Parent PLUS Online Application and follow the instructions below.
- You are directed to the federal loan website, Studentloans.gov
- In the upper right of the screen, click on the LogIn button
- You (the parent) must sign in using your FSA ID
- Click on Request a Direct PLUS Loan
- At the bottom of the page, under "Select the Loan Type", click on "Parent PLUS"
Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 loan instructions
- Under Award Year, select 2016-2017
- Under Loan Period, select the months you want to borrow the loan for
Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 loan = August 2016 loan period begin date and May 2017 loan period end date